Architect: Gordon Lloyd The present church is the third building for Trinity Cathedral, which occupies another of the church lots donated by the Penn family in 1787. It is located on a terrace, which is the remains of a low hill that was used as a graveyard by Native Americans, French, British, and American settlers; a portion of that graveyard still survives between Trinity and the First Presbyterian Church. The first building - the octagonal "Round Church" - was not built at this location, but at the Sixth and Liberty Avenues, in 1805. The growth of the congregation led to the construction of a second church, under the leadership of rector John Henry Hopkins, in 1824. This was possibly the first Gothic Style building in Pittsburgh, complete with buttresses, a tower, pointed arches, and a painted fan vault ceiling, but it was not archaeologically-accurate and had no clerestory. Hopkins' church was razed in 1869 to allow the construction of the present structure, which was dedicated in 1872. The architect, Gordon Lloyd, was born and trained in England, and was greatly influenced by the English Gothic architects Pugin and Scott. The parish house at the rear, on Oliver Avenue, was designed in 1907 by Crocker & Carpenter. Trinity Church became Trinity Cathedral, seat of the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh, in 1928. The exterior was designed in the Early Decorated English Gothic Style that was favored by mid-Victorian Episcopalians, with a single central steeple and side transepts. The interior features a tall nave flanked by aisles and lit by clerestory windows; the plaster nave walls are supported by clustered stone columns. The austere interior ornamentation, in which the pointed arch predominates, is reminiscent of the work of the American Gothicist Richard Upjohn. Some of the stained glass windows in the nave were destroyed in a fire in 1967, and were replaced by new ones in a medieval style. The rest of the windows date from 1872. The carved stone pulpit was built in 1922 to the design of the renowned American architect Bertram G. Goodhue.