Shelter Permit Day
The City of Pittsburgh's Annual Shelter Permit Day will be held on Saturday, March 29, 2014. Residents who are interested in reserving any of the City’s 26 picnic shelters from May 1st through September 30th are encouraged to attend.
Our picnic shelters provide excellent settings for family picnics and gatherings. Reservations are now being accepted for rental of the following enclosed shelters, located in Banksville Park, West End Park, and at the West End/Elliott Overlook. These shelters are available for rental year-round.
The other shelters are available for rental from May 1st through
September 30th. Applications for these shelters are being accepted
starting March 29, 2014.
PROCEDURES TO RENT SHELTERS:
- A completed Shelter Permit Application
- Applications will be considered on a first-come, first serve basis.
- Must show proof that applicant is 21 years of age in order to obtain a permit.
- The fees include an alcohol permit.
- Acceptable forms of payment:
- On March 29rd only - cash, money orders, certified checks, organizational checks will be accepted.
- Beginning Monday, March 31, and throughout the year, only money orders, certified checks and organizational checks are accepted.
- Make payable to the Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.
REGULATIONS AND GUIDELINES:
- The hours stipulated on the permit include set up and clean up time; shelters will not be opened in advance of the permitted time. Activities may be held only in the area designated by the permit.
- There shall be no defacing of the building (ORD 473.01a). Each sign and banner must be affixed so it causes no damage (ie: no nails, push pins or tape that will remove paint). Signs or banners, used as directional and/or informational guides throughout the park, must be removed before the permit expires.
- There shall be no defacing of trees and/or shrubs (ORD 473.01b).
- Refuse generated by the permit holder must be collected and properly disposed of in the receptacles provided (ORD 473.02b). If there are no receptacles, the permit holder is responsible for removing rubbish and debris from site. Plastic, paper and cardboard must be recycled if recycling receptacles are provided. No glass allowed (ORD 473.08); violators subject to fines between $50.00 and $500.00.
- Restroom must be left clean and orderly (ORD 473.01a).
- Cooking is permitted only in designated areas. Permit holders, using the outdoor grills provided at the shelter, must use their own charcoal, clean out the grill and dispose of the used charcoal properly and safely (ORD 473.04c).
- Vending is prohibited (ORD 477.01c).
- Noise levels, including sound equipment, must conform to Ordinance 601.04. Picnics with a band/DJ must secure a police officer for security purposes.
- Capacity permitted within the shelter shall conform to the provisions of Article 800 of the Pittsburgh Building Code.
- Vehicles are to park in approved parking locations (parking lots, off street, etc.) only. Vehicles are not to park on the grass and will be ticketed and towed. (Ordinance 473.01a) Service roads are for authorized government vehicles only, not the permit holder and/or guests.
- Shelters will not be left open. If the permit holder fails to make contact with the park staff before the staff leaves for the day, the permit will be considered cancelled and staff will not be called back to open the shelter.
- This permit entitles the permit holder to use the shelter and grounds. If additional activities are planned (ie: petting zoo, pony ride, moon walk, tents, etc.), the permit holder must provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance naming the City of Pittsburgh as an additional insured (ORD 473.01a).
- The Department of Public Works (DPW) reserves the right to extend priority to programs which are sponsored and scheduled by other City Departments. Also, in the event of an emergency the Director or their designee reserves the right of decision.
- No permit fee shall be returned unless DPW receives a written and dated request of cancellation at least 30 days prior to the date of the permit. Weather is not considered a valid reason for cancellations. A processing fee of ten dollars will be retained.
- DPW personnel will determine if the above requirements have been satisfactorily fulfilled.
- Park hours are 6:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. with exceptions if noted within the permit (Ordinance 473.07a).
- Permits are non-transferable.
- No fees may be charged for admission to any part of the premises.
- For more information, call the Permit Office at 412-255-2370. Permit Office hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Top of Page