Recycling Home | Residential Recycling | Commercial Recycling
Special Event Recycling | Drop-Off Recycling | Collection Schedules
All residents of the City of Pittsburgh must separate recycle items from household trash and package them for bi-weekly recycling curbside collection or take them to a City recycling drop-off center.
Curb Side Pick-Up
Beginning November 1, 2008, the City will go to a single stream recycling collection in all divisions where all collectible recycling items, except for corrugated cardboard, can be bundled together in the same blue bag for curb side collection. *See below for details on corrugated cardboard.
Please read the following information carefully to determine what items will be accepted for recycling.
Residents in all divisions will continue to recycle the following items curbside every other week.
- Newspapers, Glass Containers, Plastic (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and Metal Containers (e.g. aluminum, steel, bi-metal cans including empty paint and aerosol cans)
- Rinse containers and discard all lids and caps.
- Place in blue bags only (or bright blue containers clearly marked “Recycling”).
- Remove recycling materials from container and set away from refuse on the curb.
New! In addition to the recyclable items above, all residents may now include the following items together in the same blue plastic bags and set them on the curb every other week for recycling collection.
- Magazines, catalogs, paperboard
- White office paper
- Junk mail, hardcover books, phonebooks
- Place in blue bags only (or bright blue containers clearly marked “Recycling”)
- Remove recycling materials from container and set away from refuse on the curb
- Corrugated cardboard
Corrugated cardboard must be flattened in lengths & widths not exceeding five (5) feet. Tie the flattened cardboard with string/twine or bundle them into another cardboard box. (No Styrofoam or packaging materials) Pizza boxes must be flattened and be free of food and wax paper.
Single stream items are taken to a new single stream recycling facility where they are separated into marketable items.
Curb side pick-up for recycling takes place every other week. Place recyclables at curb no earlier than 7 p.m. on the night before collection and no later than 6 a.m. on the day of collection.
Drop-off Note: All residents may also take the recycling items listed above to the nearest recycling drop-off center. However, recyclables must be separated in the categories above when taken to the drop-off centers.
See drop-off center and locations for more details on drop-off recycling.