City Council Search City Departments Jobs Contact Information Maps Mayor's Office Home
Disability Benefits:  Q&A

Q: What are the procedures for applying for disability (non-work related) or occupational disability (work-related) pension benefits?
A: In each case you must be off work for at least six consecutive months. After the six month period you may apply for a disability or occupational disability pension benefit by signing a pension application and submitting to the Board a statement of "total and permanent disability" from your treating physician. You will then be scheduled to be examined by three physicians who are designated by the Pension Board. In order to be eligible for a disability pension, all three physicians must concur with your treating physician that you are 'totally and permanently" disabled from performing the duties required of your job.

Q: Will my Occupational Disability pension be offset by my Worker's Compensation payments?
A: Yes if you were hired after December 31, 1987.

Q: What happens to my pension status while I am receiving worker's compensation or long term disability payments ?
A: A person receiving worker's compensation or long term disability is not creating any pension credit. The reason is that such a person is not working nor is he receiving a salary or wage. Such a person is receiving a particular benefit. His pension status is similar to a person on a leave of absence.

[Return to Top]

| Return to Pension Benefits  Categories |

Pension Office
Pension Board Members
Q & A Categories
Types of  Pension Benefits
Pension Act of 1975
Ordinances of 1987

 Pension Office
919 City - County Building
414 Grant Street

Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Telephone:  (412) 255-2655