When You Need An HVAC Contractor License:
Anyone who acts, engages, advertises, or otherwise represents to be a Heating, Ventilation or Air Conditioning contractor must first obtain a license from the Bureau of Building Inspection.
How To Obtain An HVAC Contractor License:
Please check below to make sure that you meet ALL of the pre-qualifications for eligibility.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be able to read and speak the English language.
- Evidence that you have at least four years of experience in warm air heating.
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, please go to www.iccsafe.org/contractor to find out how and where to schedule your examination.
Once you have passed the ICC examination, you must apply in person for your license Monday through Friday from 7:30 am until 11:30 am. Our office is located at 200 Ross Street, Room 320, Pittsburgh PA 15219.
You must bring the following information with you:
- Completed Application for HVAC Contractor Registration (along with copy of certificate of attainment if applicable);
- The official pass letter from ICC;
- Photo identification (such as a driver’s license);
- The name and address of the business you are licensing, if applicable;
- Proof of registration for all City taxes - City Tax ID Number (for information call the Finance Department, Business Registration at 412-255-2528, option 1, 2, or 3);
- Certificate of Insurance in the amount of $300,000.
See the Table of License Fees. Please note that a credit will be given on your initial license equal to the cost of the ICC examination.