When You Need An Electrical Contractor License:
Anyone who acts, engages, advertises, or otherwise represents to be an electrical contractor (registered electrician) must first obtain a license from the Bureau of Building Inspection.
How To Obtain An Electrical Contractor License:
Please check below to make sure that you meet ALL of the pre-qualifications for eligibility.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be able to read and speak the English language.
- You must have graduated and received a certificate of attainment in electrical wiring from an accredited school, and have at least two years of experience working as an electrician.
- OR you must have ten years of experience working as a registered electrician in another state or municipality or ten years experience working with an electrician registered in the City.
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, please go to www.iccsafe.org/contractor to find out how and where to schedule your examination.
Once you have passed the ICC examination, you must apply in person for your license Monday through Friday from 7:30 am until 11:30 am. Our office is located at 200 Ross Street, Room 320, Pittsburgh PA 15219.
You must bring the following information with you:
- Completed Application for Electrical Contractor Registration (along with copy of certificate of attainment if applicable)
- The official pass letter from ICC
- Photo iIdentification (such as a driver’s license)
- The name and address of the business you are licensing, if applicable
- Proof of registration for all City taxes - City Tax ID Number (for information call the Finance Department, Business Registration at 412-255-2528, option 1, 2, or 3)
- Certificate of Insurance in the amount of $300,000
See the Table of License Fees. Please note that a credit will be given on your initial license equal to the cost of the ICC examination.